Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Job Factor

This is where I have been training for the past few weeks for my new part time job. It is the brand, stinking new Amplatz Children's Hospital in Minneapolis. I generally don't like to blog about work, but given the fact that I am loving it and have extra time, I figure one post is fine. I have been working primarily with the inpatient pediatric population; dealing the children who are awaiting bone marrow transplants, have had heart transplants, or other complicated medical issues.

It has been intense to say the least, but already a great learning experience. I am seeing extremely ill children, supporting parents, getting comfortable playing with food, feeding unwilling eaters, holding babies with excessive lines, and dealing with loosing patients. Given all of this, it is fun and fast paced. I have some great leads that really seem to understand our role as speech pathologists as part of the team. While the job will not only be within this setting, there seem more similarities than differences within hospital environments, and I have been loving it. Yay!

No comments: