Sunday, January 29, 2012

Crock Pot Cooking

I have an interesting relationship with our crock pot. I think that the concept of crock pot cooking is amazing. For a working person, what could be better than putting things in the pot, letting them cook all day, and then returning to have a hot, homemade meal ready and waiting for consumption.

The problem that I have is that I never make anything that I like using the crock pot. I will qualify that statement, and say that this is partially due to my reluctance to use the crock pot for soup and inattention when 'jagging' for something new. In regards to my reluctance to use the crock pot for soup, I wonder why I would want to do such a thing. Soup already is the easiest thing to make and the time consuming portion is the chopping, which one is going to have to go regardless of crock pot usage. So why not just use the stove?! I am able to highlight my ignorance through several illustrations. For example, the first time that I attempted to use a crock pot was while I was in grad school and decided to have Stacy over for dinner; the crock pot was making chicken, peas, and rice. Little did I know, that chicken thighs are the grossest form of chicken possible, and I could not look beyond the connector pieces. Besides that, the meal was tasteless and rather bland. Another memorable crock pot moment was when I decided that making Pat beef brisket was a good idea. No so, as step 2 stated that I had to place the brisket 'fatty-side' up in the crock pot. Total yuck... the fatty juices were to drip over the rest of the meat?!?! Obviously, meal was lost onto me.

Yet, given all this, the crock pot bug has bit again, obviously prompting this blog. As I type, the crock pot is attempting a new recipe, Vegetable Chick Pea Curry, and it smells promising! I really attempted to select a recipe that would be to our liking and not gross, which turned out to be meat-free. I am anxiously waiting for the 3 additional hours of cooking to complete. As the crock pot already has my mind, will it win my heart with this recipe?? Time will tell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is this dinner tonight?! YAYYY!!!