Pat and I have long desired a back-yard garden and this year we decided to make it happen; although, I should say that the whole process really began last year. We designated a little spot, which was behind the garage in direct sunlight and began clearing the land. Pat and I spent a ton of time pulling weeds and roots, as well as cutting down some trees that were beginning to grow.
As the weather turned warm early this year, Pat and I both spent several days weeding, cultivating, fertilizing, and 'top-soiling' our little space. We even used the extra bricks in our garage to border the space. Both of us went a little wild with the seeds; we purchased broccoli, lettuce, spinach, wax beans, green beans, peas, kale, zucchini, and squash (more than will ever fit in our little space). We were thinking that we were about ready to plant, but upon a heavy rain, we noticed a nice trench in our soil from the rain pouring off our un-guttered garage roof.
This obviously led to the next project: putting gutters on the garage. I left Pat to this one, and after multiple Menards trips, he was ready to begin. Chris was more than awesome to come over and assist with the project this afternoon, as I think Pat needed the help. With one final Menards trip, the project was about complete (all we need to do is find some cheap rain barrels) and we are ready to plant.
Sunday, April 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment