Friday, May 7, 2010

The Sunfire's Story

Mom and I in front of the new Sunfire!

Eight years ago, as a soon to be college junior, I proposed the idea of buying myself a car. My parents were on board, Dad responding with the classic, 'we'll see...' and it was decided that if I could get 4-5 years out of the car, it would be a good deal. The plan was to use my 'life's saving' for a down payment and work each summer to make my car payments for the school year.

That summer, the plan was in action. I waited tables and had a blast. I worked as much as possible and was as productive as possible... if someone didn't want to take a table, I always picked it up and didn't mind staying late. It was easy because I had a goal in mind. The goal was, of course, my little blue Sunfire.

As the end of the summer approached, Dad and I went to a few different dealerships checking out some of the little cars that were within my price and style range. While having any car would have been cool, I had already made up my mind... the blue Sunfire. I remember playing it cool with the car dealers, as we were 'just looking.' At the dealership that my dad always goes to they had a Sunfire, but it wasn't blue. The dealer explained that this is what they had and he wasn't sure if there were any blue cars left. He made it seem like a blue Sunfire wasn't going to be possible. Dad was cool, as usual, responding with something along the lines of, 'I think she really wants a blue one, if you can find one give us a call' and we walked out. Of course, I was a little freaked out, would they not have a blue Sunfire? Dad explained of course they would be able to find one somewhere, they want to make a sale. I understood it, but still was a bit concerned. After a day or two, we received a call, they had found a blue Sunfire. It had met all my criteria (blue and with a CD player) and would be in town in 3 days. I was ecstatic. When it arrived, Dad and I went to the dealership to look it over. It had a CD player and a sunroof... and nothing else, no power locks, windows, or cruise control. It was perfect and I loved it immediately. That day, we did all the paperwork and I got my little blue Sunfire.

The Sunfire and I have had my journeys.... it carried my through the end of college, grad school, and these last few years of work. It traveled to Toledo, New Jersey, Columbus, Connecticut, Chicago, Milwaukee, Iowa, all over the Twin Cities, and back to Ohio for regular visits. It had been a great little car, I only got the oil changed and put hardly any cash into it.

Over the past year, I noticed that it just wasn't running the same; I knew it was going to be time soon. I was just hoping that it wouldn't be during the year of the wedding. I always assumed that it would just die, but the Sunfire didn't die, it just became less reliable. Pat and I began to think how we needed at least one reliable car for our long trips and that we did need a bit more space. So last weekend, we did it... we traded in the Sunfire and it was actually worth something. The blue Sunfire was the car that just kept on giving. It was a bit sad (as I was obviously more than slightly attached) to see it go, but it had been a great ride.

Right before my last trip in the Sunfire... yes, I am frowning and yes, it was a rainy dark day!

As a side note, I have to add that Pat and I are the proud new owners of a black, Pontiac Vibe. I think that it is the cutest, most functional vehicle! Here are a few photos (....and yes, Pat is sending out a vibe)!


No comments: